Hello fellow writers 🖋 it’s that time of the year again when you can hear writers screaming, see them scribbling away and ingesting lots of coffee to function … it’s NaNoWriMo again! If you’ve no idea what I’m talking about November is National Novel Writing Month … yep an entire month dedicated to writing! The goal is to write 50.000 words in November, which equals 1667 words per day and serves to encourage you to get that writing done. I’m actually a seasoned NaNo participant, because I’ve been doing NaNoWriMo since 2012 and have also joined CampNaNo, which has always been lots of fun! I definitely encourage all writers to check join next months reading, even if you can’t reach the 50K word goal, because every word counts no matter if you make it or not! Of course now is the time to reveal the project I’m going to be working on 🙂
And my NaNoWriMo 2017 Novel is … 🖋
What my Novel is about 🖋
To introduce my project I thought it would be cool to use the questions from the Beautiful People Linkup, which for NaNoWriMo is called Beautiful Books! It’s hosted by Cait @ PaperFury and Sky @ furtherupfurtherin, who post 10 questions for us to answer every month!
1. What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea? 🖋
- I’ve had the original idea for about 5 years, which started out as a fun project that I wrote during NaNo – the characters were what I cared about, as the world-building really was not good
- I didn’t write much more during the slump where I also didn’t read
- 1 and a half/2 years ago I started reworking the idea, because I wanted to write about these characters that I loved again.
- During this time I tried out several settings – one dystopian and the most recent High Fantasy – but they did not work out. I worked on my High Fantasy version since last summer and finished the first draft, before figuring out that it didn’t work
- Since two months I finally figured out that my characters needed to be in an Urban Fantasy setting and everything came together. This new version of my original idea is the final one that I want to write.
2. Describe what your novel is about! 🖋
- WITCHES in an urban fantasy setting
- They are descendants of gods, which gives them the genes to use magic
- Focus on European Witches which ingest wine to use their powers
- Rivaling covens, since there were two different original bloodlines
- Big Tournament to determine the Master, who’s the leader of the witch community and is supposed to unite the two covens
- Protagonist who has lived in exile, since her father was banned and didn’t return must participate to save him when he’s kidnapped by the rivaling coven
3. What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like! 🖋
4. Introduce us to each of your characters! 🖋
- Astrid – Protagonist – Gryffindor – impulsive, caring, brave
- Yasmin – Main Character – Hufflepuff – compassionate, intelligent, insecure
- Ian – Main Character – Ravenclaw – stubborn, passionate, patient
- Cashel – Antagonist – Slytherin – observant, distanced, logical
- Cole – Supporting Character – Gryffindor – sarcastic, honest, rebellious
- Scarlett – Supporting Character – Ravenclaw – diplomatic, responsible, perfectionist
- Ryan – Minor Character – Hufflepuff – optimistic, withdrawn, generous
5. How do you prepare to write? 🖋
- Having my SCRIVENER project ready
- Lot’s of outlining and planning, because I’m an 100% a planner, I need to have everything organized or I’ll run around not knowing what the hell I’m doing
- Printing out helpful maps for my setting or other glorious writing sheets
- Buying snacks … lots of snacks
- Collecting inspirational music and pictures to motivate me for the story
- Getting a NaNo Journal and buying stickers as rewards
6. What are you most looking forward to about this novel? 🖋
- The characters, because they’ve been with me for 5 years and I finally get to write the story about them that feels right
- 3 main romances that are really slow burn and get me excited every time
- Exploring strong family and friendship themes
- Writing about magical abilities and WITCHES and covens – yes!
7. List 3 things about your novel’s setting. 🖋
- Plays in three different locations: Hamburg, London and the Scottish Highlands
- So much witches, magical abilities and covens
- Tournament with lots of dangerous, daring Trials
8. What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way? 🖋
- Goal – Save her father from the guy who kidnapped him
- Conflict – Villain is very powerful and gets her father involved in the Tournament, which pulls both out of her reach. Therefore, she has to participate as well and win.
9. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel? 🖋
- My Protagonist ends up a lot more experienced in the world of witches and also realizes that she cannot protect everyone she loves & sometimes has to let them go.
10. What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over? 🖋
- Theme – protecting/saving loved ones and that you sometimes cannot & need to let them make their own choices
- I want my readers to feel bittersweet in the end – at the one hand sad about the ending, but at the other hand understanding the characters choices.
Are you participating in this years NaNoWriMo? If yes tell me what you’re writing, I’d love to know! 🖋