Hello fellow bookworms 💗 I’m lowkey terrified but here it comes: I decided to host a little reading challenge next year all about reading books outside of your comfort zone! 😱 I was making my reading goals for next year and wrote down how badly I wanted to invest more time into reading from a broader range of genres and also dive into reading more adult books, to spice up my reading a little bit and broaden my horizon so to speak. Then I realized that it might be fun to turn my own resolution into its own reading challenge if anyone wanted to join in and also challenge themselves to read more broadly in the new year. Thus, I decided to make the Out of Your Comfort Zone Reading Challenge! I’m nervous as this is my first ever time hosting anything, but I love the idea of reading more adventurously, so here it goes 💕
What is the Out of Your Comfort Zone Reading Challenge? 💗
Like the name suggests, the aim of this challenge is to read books that you consider to be outside of your comfort zone. Often I feel myself gravitating to the same kinds of books especially when it comes to age range and genres. Therefore, you can join this challenge if you wish to read more broadly (and adventurously) and dive into genres you don’t reach for as often, but want to try out more frequently. The Challenge itself is tailored to your goals, so it’s going to be really relaxed and individual as everyone has a different definition of their comfort zone. You can set yourself a number of books to read in a particular genre (or subgenre, age range, etc.) or make a TBR with books you hope to get to!
The Guidelines 💗
- The Challenge runs from January 1st, 2020 to December 31st, 2020
- If you want to join, you can do so all year until the challenge ends ♥
- The goal of the reading challenge is to read genres/age ranges outside of your comfort zone (be as broad or specific as you’d like to be with that)
- You can pick out as many genres/age ranges that you want to read more of and pick out how many books you’d like to read in that genre and/or make a TBR of books you’d like to try out.
- For the books to count you have to begin and start them in 2020, as the challenge is geared towards this year – meaning that books started in 2019 don’t count.
- Of course, any format of book works for this Readathon, as long as you can mark it as read on Goodreads!
- This is all very relaxed, so do whatever works best for you, be it how many categories, books and TBR’s as you want!
How you can join 💗
- Fill out the form at the end of the post if you’re interested in joining!
- You can join by setting up a post on your platform, be it Blog, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, etc. with your reading goals/TBR for the Readathon
- Please link back to this announcement post. You can also tag me on Twitter, Goodreads and of course here on WordPress because I’ love to hear all about your progress and reading plans
- You can also use the Reading Challenge Banner and the Icon in your signup/TBR post if you want to (and award yourself the badges once you reach the goals!
- Share your TBR’s/Posts/Progress throughout the year with the hashtag #outofcomfortzonechallenge!
- You can keep track of your progress via social media, a post or blog page, whatever works best for you!
- There’s also a Google Form to add your read books because I thought it would be cool to see what books we all read throughout the year!
Levels & Cozy Badges 💗
I’m a huge lover of different reading levels with cute badges, so I wanted to incorporate that element in my own challenge as well. Here are the four levels I have come up with (if you like an extra challenge for your reading) and some additional fun badges you can give yourself for certain achievements! (inspired by the NaNoWriMo badges that you can award yourself, I always found them to be a lot of fun!)
- DREAMER: Read 5 books outside of your comfort zone
- TRAVELER: Read 10 books outside of your comfort zone
- EXPLORER: Read 20 books outside of your comfort zone
- ADVENTURER: Read 40+ books outside of your comfort zone
- THE FAVORITE: Find a new favorite book
- TOME: Read a book over 500 pages
- SERIES CHAMP: Read an entire Series
- GENRE FAN: Read books from 5 different genres
You want to join the Reading Challenge? Then use Form below to sign up! 💗
Are you going to join me in reading books outside of your comfort zone? What are your favorite books outside of your comfort zone that you’re glad you’ve discovered? 💗